Avro Type E
[Monochrome photograph of the first Avro Type E, Brooklands April 1911]
In September 1911 A V. Roe put in hand an improved version of the Type D. This featured a change to a rectangular fuselage cross-section deepened so that only the pilot's head and shoulders protruded into the airstream.
Early in construction the machine was bought by John R. Duigan, an Australia who came to Britain to obtain his Royal Aero Club Certificate.
[Monochrome photograph of Type E No. 2 with a 60hp (45kW) E.N.V. water-cooled engine]
The second Type E machine was essentially the same as the Duigan machine but it had a 60hp (45 kW) E.N.V. engine and wings of slightly increased area. It was also fitted with dual controls with a view to using it for pilot training at the Avro Flying School.
[Monochrome photograph of Type E with a 50hp (37kW) Gnome Omega rotary engine. Royal Flying Corps Nos. 404-406]
In February 1912 a War Office representative visited the Avro Brownsfield Mill, Manchester works to inspect the second Type E then nearing completion. This inspection resulted in the order for three Type E aircraft to be powered by 50 hp (37 kW) Gnome Omega rotary engines provided that they met the performance requirements outlined for the 1912 Military Trials aeroplanes. These aircraft were put in hand immediately and the first was accepted on May 9, 1912.