Avro Type D
[Monochrome photograph of the First Avro Type D, Brooklands April 1911]
At the end of 1910 Roe decided to build a two-seater tractor biplane. In March 1911 the first Type D, as it later became known, arrived at Brooklands for erection and testing. Apart from the wings the machine was essentially similar to the preceding Roe IV Triplane being powered by the reliable 35hp (26 kW) water-cooled Green engine.
On April 11, Howard Pixton took it up for the first time and reported that it was very easy to fly. During the months that followed the Type D also proved to be a very reliable and consistent flyer.
It was then mainly use by the Avro Flying School until sold to Commander Schwann RN for Seaplane float experiments at Barrow in Furness in July 1911.
Over the next 6 months a further five aircraft were constructed with minor differences:
No. 2 - Built for the Daily Mail Round Britain Race and crashed on the morning of the Race.
No. 3 - Built for Avro School work.
No. 4 - Built for Michelin Speed Race and later used by the Avro School.
No. 5 - Built for Michelin Endurance Prize.
No. 6 - Used as an engine test bed for a 35 hp (26 kW) Viale radial, then a 50 hp (37 kW) Isaacson air-cooled radial and was finally fitted with a 35hp Green for School work at Shoreham.
Auro Type D. No. 6 when fitted with the 50 hp (37 kW) baacion air-cooled radial engine