The opening of the Avro facility at Langar in September 1942 coincided with the arrival of No 207 Squadron, which operated Lancasters. The Avro Repair Organisation formed close ties with No 207 Squadron, carrying out maintenance and repairs on their aircraft until the Squadron moved in October 1943. The Avro facility remained at Langar and continued to repair Lancasters throughout the war.
During the post war years, Lancastrians, Yorks and Shackletons all passed through Langar for maintenance and modification. The site finally closed in September 1968.
Bracebridge Heath (Lincolnshire)
Avro made a huge contribution to the war effort with the aircraft it designed and built. The most famous of course is the Lancaster bomber but the importance of other Avro aircraft, such as the Anson and York, should not be underestimated.
The construction methods used to produce the Avro Lancaster were integral to the success of this aircraft. The Lancaster was built in fully equipped sections in factories across the country and assembled at places like Woodford. A key advantage to this construction method was that repairs could be made quickly by replacing the damaged section.
In 1940, the decision was made by Avro to establish a repair depot away from large cities and the associated risk of bombing raids. The Avro Repair Organisation was formed and established close links between Bomber Command and the Avro factories.
The Avro Repair Organisation expanded throughout the war and outworking organisations were set up to cover the whole of the country. These organisations were regularly putting more than 30 aircraft back into operational service every week. The Avro Repair Organisation repaired more than 4,000 aircraft during the war.
The Avro Repair Organisation established a base at Bracebridge Heath in 1942, which was just one mile away from RAF Waddington. Repaired Lancasters were transported the short distance by road from Bracebridge Heath to Waddington.
Work at Bracebridge Heath continued during the post war years with the maintenance and overhaul of Ansons. The facility continued into the days of British Aerospace, when it was eventually closed in 1979.