Avro became a limited company on 11th January 1913 and plans were made to expand the Company. Larger premises were sought after the War Office placed an order for the Avro 500 biplane and these were found at Clifton Street, Miles Platting, Manchester. Avro moved its workforce out of Brownsfield Mill and into the new premises on 17th March 1913.
The outbreak of war led to large orders for the revolutionary Avro 504 biplane and the Company once again had to find new premises to cope with the demand. As luck would have it, a local engineering company had just completed an extension to their Park Works premises at Newton Heath. Avro was immediately granted permission to use the extension and the production of Avro 504's could be scaled up.
An abrupt fall in aircraft orders at the end of the war forced Avro to diversify and the Company started to produce motor cars at the Newton Heath factory. The production and maintenance of the Avro 504K continued on a smaller scale alongside the motor car project.
The Newton Heath works became the headquarters of Avro in 1932 when the Hamble facility was closed. Production of all aircraft types now took place at Newton Heath and included the Avro Avian biplane, which went on to set many world records. The Avro Tutor was also built at Newton Heath to replace the Avro 504 as the RAF's frontline trainer.
The most famous aircraft to come out of the Newton Heath factory was the Avro Anson. It was originally designed as a high speed mail carrier and made its first flight on 7th January 1935. Chadwick redesigned the aircraft into a military version to meet an Air Ministry requirement for a maritime reconnaissance aircraft. The first orders for the Anson were placed in August 1935 and the aircraft would go on to become a successful trainer for bomber crews.
Avro received an order to build the Bristol Blenheim on licence in May 1938, which gave the Newton Heath workforce vital experience in the construction of all-metal aircraft. Production of Blenheims, Ansons, and Lancaster components carried on at Newton Heath throughout the Second World War although Chadderton became the Company's new headquarters when it opened in 1939.
Production was scaled down after the war and the Newton Heath works closed on 8th April 1947, with the workforce moving to Chadderton.